Some of my friends often say that they also want to try their hands with painting, but using brush sounds difficult. So, I thought why not paint something that others (for those who find painting with brush quite difficult) can also easily follow.
I revamped these bottles (above image) for gifting purpose, and do you know I did this whole work without using single stroke of brush! To be honest, no expertise is needed this simple technique and even children can happily do this.
We all need affirmations (positive words and messages), so I thought based on this theme why not create a DIY Valentine’s Day gift for my husband.
I have clicked pictures of each step. This should help you create your similar personalized gift too.
- Glass bottles
- Acrylic colors (lemon yellow, brown, and white) – You can use color of your choice.
- Color palette
- Sponge (substitute of brush)
- Brush (just for mixing colors and varnishing)
- Permanent marker pens
- Clear varnish
- We all have these empty sauce bottles in our kitchen. I have used these to turn them into home decorative. Soak the bottles in warm soapy water and leave overnight. Then clean and dry them before use.
- Take the acrylic color of your choice. I have taken lemon yellow color and mixed it with white and just a hint of brown to get this shade. Properly mix them with brush.
- Now take color on sponge and start dabbing on bottle. Start from the top (nozzle part) and gradually proceed down and cover the whole bottle with paint. Follow the same process with both the bottles. Bottom image (collage below) is shown after completion of single coating.
- Let it dry for minimum two hours. Apply the second coat of color following the same process. After second coat you will get uniform paint all over the bottle. I was in hurry to proceed further and simply forgot to click picture after completion of second coat of paint.
- After drying, with the help of marker pen write words/messages of your choice. I chose “Be Positive” for the center, and then scattered words like – smile, sparkle, shine, hugs, passion, love etc.
- As occasion was Valentines Day, so filled empty places with hearts, smiles and stars.
This is just to give you an idea and a spark to your creative mind. Choose the words or feelings you want to express. It after all has to be a personalized gift. We often can express better in writing than speaking. 🙂
You may not want your hard work to fade away or wear out. So, apply a layer of clear varnish with the help of brush. Varnish seals the paint and keep it intact for years. Let it dry overnight.
So, your gift is ready. Isn’t it simple and easy? Trust me you will have wonderful time creating it.
Don’t forget to gift wrap it before surprising your loved one with this cute DIY gift.
If you have any doubt while doing this art work do ask me. I will be most happy to help you. If you happen to try this, do share it with me. I’d love to see how it turned out.