Diwali is the busiest time for us ladies. So much work – shopping, decoration, gifts to be packed, food preparations etc. However, when it comes to food preparations for Diwali, I look forward more to desserts.
In this busy festival time, I try for dessert that’s easy to make and gets ready quickly, as there are other delicacies to be made as well.
So, below I have explained the process of making quick version of traditional moong-daal halwa.
Ingredients for moong dal halwa
- Moong dal (green gram spilt): 1 cup
- Mawa/khoa: ¾ cup
- Sugar: ¾ cup
- Ghee: ¼ cup
- Milk: ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder: 1 tbsp
- Almond flakes: 1 tbsp
- Pistachio flakes: 1 tbsp
In the usual version, moong dal is soaked for few hours and then ground to fine paste. However, this paste being sticky, takes longer time to cook which is a tiring process.
Here, in this easy version I have used dry moong dal. No soaking of dal is required, just grind dry moong dal to coarse powder.
- Heat ghee in heavy bottom vessel and roast moong dal powder in it till it turns slight golden and you start getting roasted dal fragrance. It will take roughly 15 minutes on medium heat to get dal roasted.
- Add mawa and mix it properly to break any lumps if any.
- Add sugar, milk, cardamom powder and stir continuously. Mix for another 2-3 minutes and tasty moong daal halwa is ready.
- If you don’t want mawa, you can replace it with 2 1/2 cups of milk.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio flakes before serving.
Do visit and like Bhaili’s Facebook page to get regular updates. You can also find me on Pinterest. You may also subscribe to this blog by entering your email-id in EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION section (top of the right-hand column for desktop-readers and bottom of screen for mobile-readers).