I enjoy experimenting in kitchen, making some changes in traditional food. My family is fond of desserts so no doubt you will find here lots of easy to make dessert recipes.
This time presenting our traditional malpua and rabdi with a healthier twist.
Instead of deep frying, I have baked the malpua batter in muffin molds. Served it with orange rabdi and jaggery syrup.
Ingredients for malpua muffins:
- Whole wheat flour: 1 cup
- Ripe banana: 1/2
- Jaggery: 1/2 cup
- Ghee (clarified butter): ¼ cup
- Fennel seeds: ½ tsp
- Grated dry coconut: 1 tbsp
- Crushed black pepper: ¼ tsp
- Cardamom powder: ½ tsp
- Almond extract: 1/2 tsp
- Milk: ½ cup
- Take banana in a bowl and mash it with fork.
- In another bowl take grated jaggery, ghee, almond extract and beat for 2 minutes till jaggery is blended well in ghee.
- Add fennel seeds, grated dry coconut, crushed black pepper and cardamom powder and mix everything together.
- To bring out authentic malpua taste, add grated dry coconut (not desiccated coconut). Similarly freshly crushed black peppers works wonder as compared to pepper powder.
- Add mashed banana and flour, and mix it gently till you get lumpy batter.
- Add warm milk and make a smooth batter.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degree centigrade.
- Line the muffin liners in muffin moulds and pour the batter. This proportion of batter will give you 6-7 muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degree centigrade.
- Check by inserting toothpick in center. If it comes clean then it means muffins are baked. If toothpick appears stuck then bake for another 5-7 minutes.
As baking powder and baking soda is not used, muffins will be dense but flavorsome.
Ingredients for Orange Rabdi:
- Milk: 1 liter
- Sugar: ¼ cup
- Orange extract: ¼ tsp
- Fresh orange pulp: ¼ cup
- Let milk simmer in a heavy bottom vessel on low heat. Keep stirring in between.
- When the milk is reduced to one-third, then add sugar. Stir it well and let the sugar dissolve. Take it off the flame after a minute.
- Let it cool completely and then add orange extract and orange pulp.
- Orange rabdi is ready.
Ingredients for jaggery syrup:
- Jaggery: ½ cup
- Water: 1/8 cup
- Cardamom powder: ¼ tsp
- Few saffron strands
- In a heavy bottom pan, add jaggery and water and let them simmer for 10 minutes.
- Check syrup’s consistency by pouring a spoonful of syrup. Keep in mind It will get little thicker on cooling so take it off the flame accordingly.
- After taking it off the flame, add cardamom powder, saffron and stir.
- Jaggery syrup is ready to use.
Just before serving, remove muffin liner and place malpua muffin in serving plate. Add generous amount of orange rabdi and drop some jaggery syrup just before serving.
This dessert plate gives you fusion of flavors. Orange rabdi adds a contrasting blend to sweet jaggery syrup.
I hope you enjoy making and delighting your family with this Indian dessert with a twist.
Do visit and like Bhaili’s Facebook page to get regular updates. You can also find me on Pinterest. You may also subscribe to this blog by entering your email-id in EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION section (top of the right-hand column for desktop-readers and bottom of screen for mobile-readers).